Being a grandparent can be incredibly rewarding and the bonds you build with your grandchildren can be really special. You can also play a vital role in the first few weeks of breastfeeding.
On a practical level there are lots of things you can help with, but mum needs your support on an emotional level too. It’s important to recognise that your support and approval really do matter, so try to be positive and reassuring even if you did things differently when you had kids.
- Understanding why breastfeeding is important, even if you bottle-fed your children.
- Occupying the older grandchildren and making sure they feel special.
- Babysitting when she needs a rest during the day.
- Providing reassurance that she is making the right decisions for her family.
- Encouraging mum to get additional support if she’s struggling.
- Helping out around the house.
- Making cups of tea.