Breastfeeding at work
You don’t need to stop breastfeeding just because you’re returning to work. But if you do want to breastfeed while working, you need to tell your employer in writing in advance. Then they‘ll be able to make preparations. Here are a few different options you can try:
- Ask your employer for flexible working hours
- You might be able to build your working day around breastfeeding.
- Arrange childcare close to work
- This way you can breastfeed during breaks or before and after work.
- Take and store milk from your breast
- You can take and store breastmilk by hand or by using a pump so that someone else can feed your baby while you’re at work.
Find out more
You'll find lots of helpful information in the leaflet 'Pregnancy and work – what you need to know as an employee' which you can download or order from nidirect.
You can also download or order ‘A Guide For New And Expectant Mothers Who Work’ from the Health and Safety Executive website at www.hse.gov.uk/mothers.