What do you think when you see a mother breastfeeding in public?
Do you think it is unacceptable? Do you think it is absolutely fine to breastfeed in public? Do you think nothing of it and have no views about breastfeeding in public?
Your views and opinion matter and can affect how some women feel about breastfeeding in public.
England has some of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world which is really sad because it is an amazing way to support the health and wellbeing of infants. Only 34% of babies receive breastmilk during the first six months of life compared with much higher rates in other European countries.
Why is breastfeeding so special you may ask? Well research has shown that breastfeeding has many health benefits. Here are just a few:
- Breastfeeding supports infant brain development.
- Breastfeeding supports loving relationships.
- Breastfeeding protects against childhood illnesses, cancer, obesity, infections and sudden infant death.
You can support breastfeeding by:
- supporting and encouraging family, friends or colleagues who have chosen to breastfeed
- encourage businesses or public service providers to sign up for the ‘Breastfeeding Welcome Here Award’ run by Derbyshire County Council
- create a supportive environment for breastfeeding mums by removing any barriers and being aware of your own behaviours and actions
There are many more reasons to support breastfeeding. Find out by following the links below: